Package names for utility pakcages

Hi Developers,

Related to the "-" and "_" and dchanges discussion on aesthetics of
package and or filenames, I would like to contribute an other item. I
would like to see some convention on the naming of utility
packages.

The next proposal should be taken seriously if a facility is added to
the packages database structure for removing obsolete (not in use, out
of date, whatever) package names from the packages database
(/var/lib/dpkg/{available,status}). If this facility isn't added
changing package names will increase the number of unused entries in
the dselect select list.

But if obsolete packages are actually/virtually removed from the
packages database I would like to suggest that all utility packages
have a root name followed by [-_]utils or [-_]utl, similar to
developement packages having a root name followed by [-_]dev at this
moment. [-_] means either "-" or "_", whatever we decide or vote on.

You might ask why I'm suggestion a thing like this. The suggested more
standard nomenclature is more intuitive to guess the name of a
package. And it might look more solid.

utility package names: (ax25-util, util-linux are assumed containing
more than one utility, am I right about that?)

now           option 1-      option 1_      option 2-    option 2_

aout-binutils aout-bin-utils aout_bin_utils aout-bin-utl aout_bin_utl
ax25-util     ax25-utils     ax25_utils     ax25-utl     ax25_utl
binutils      bin-utils      bin_utils      bin-utl      bin_utl
bsdmain-utils bsdmain-utils  bsdmain_utils  bsdmain-utl  bsdmain_utl
bsdutils      bsd-utils      bsd_utils      bsd-utl      bsd_utl
debian-utils  debian-utils   debian_utils   debian-utl   debian_utl
dnsutils      dns-utils      dns_utils      dns-utl      dns_utl
elf-binutils  elf-bin-utils  elf_bin_utils  elf-bin-utl  elf_bin_utl
fdutils       fd-utils       fd_utils       fd-utl       fd_utl
fileutils     file-utils     file_utils     file-utl     file_utl
findutils     find-utils     find_utils     find-utl     find_utl
hfsutils      hfs-utils      hfs_utils      hfs-utl      hfs_utl
mdutils       md-utils       md_utils       md-utl       md_utl
miscutils     misc-utils     misc_utils     misc-utl     misc_utl
nlsutils      nls-utils      nls_utils      nls-utl      nls_utl
psutils       ps-utils       ps_utils       ps-utl       ps_utl
sharutils     shar-utils     shar_utils     shar-utl     shar_utl
shellutils    shell-utils    shell_utils    shell-utl    shell_utl
sysutils      sys-utils      sys_utils      sys-utl      sys_utl
textutils     text-utils     text_utils     text-utl     text_utl
util-linux    linux-utils    linux_utils    linux-utl    linux_utl
win32binutils win32bin-utils win32bin_utils win32bin-utl win32bin_utl

Erick