Re: Draft: Security Alert Announce#1 Debian/GNU Linux

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> lprng should be moved to stable very quickly. I suggest to create 1.1.14

well, before crying for action you should describe the problem.
just because there are bugs isn't enough for a security alert. :-(

> DESCRIPTION
>
>  There are Bugs in the upstream version of zircon and lpr which makes your
>  system vulnerable to exploits. Please check if you have installed one of
>  those packages with the command:

one line description telling that there are bugs in lpr. what bugs?
do you think lprng has got none? is this a bug report or a security
_alert_? the rest of the description paragraph is better noted as
'how to find out if you are vulnerable?' it is not at all a description
of the vulnerability.

more questions: is CERT informed? or anyone else?

this is no serious security alert as it only tells about
half-trues and heard-offs which are aparently unchecked.
please look at any CERT alert for some inspiration.

:-(((
jjm

--
Juergen Menden                   | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by me,
tel:    +49 (89) 289 - 22387     +-----------+ are (usually) not the opinions

Hi! I'm a .signature virus!  Add me to your .signature and join in the fun!