Impressions from the user-side

There are other issues that need to be considered/addressed more than what
I'm about to bring up - like the dselect user interface.

I have a system that's having a serious technical problem, and I'm away
from the office so I can't just use the "autoinstall" system I set up
there.  IE, I'm doing an install over a modem, with access to exactly one
PC, and no hard disk access (yet).  This is a list of things I've found
that would've been nifty to have.  BTW, it could be that all of these
things already exist - and I just didn't see them.  If so, they could
Possibly be made more accessible.

1) What's happening with the "debian-user" for usenet news?  It's easier
access than a mailing list, and it promotes debian-visibility to have it.

2) It looks kind of like the debian-user web archive isn't getting new
messages.  This is worth fixing!  Does the bug system have something for
this kind of issue?

3) It would be nice if there were a web interface...  something that
provided a list of all debian packages - click on a package, and start a
mail message to the bug system.  Also, a list of all files with
backpointers to their corresponding packages...  There have been many
times when I knew a non-debian *ix would have a certain file, and I wasn't
sure which debian package would have that file - ever since I blew away
the system with virtually all debian packages installed.  Perhaps dpkg
allows this (I didn't see a way), but a web interface could be a help.

4) It would be a good thing, if it were spelled out in the install
document, what to do if you're installing with an oddball scsi controller.
I've heard mention of such a thing on the debian lists, but I didn't see
anything about it in the install doc.  Maybe it's buried somewhere, and I
just didn't see it.  The html-doc could just have a link to another page
describing this - it needn't clutter the mainline doc appreciably.

5) The default boot??00.bin floppy should probably have ncr53c810
support, rather than ncr53c406 support.  ncr53c406 is under "other" in the
scsi how-to.  The '810 is a recommended buy in the howto.  Note that there
are -three- ncr drivers, two for the '810, and one for the '406.  Between
the two '810 drivers, the one ported from freebsd is probably preferable,
tho I do not have any experience with either.  I conclude this only
because the freebsd driver was ported because the other had limitations.

6) What happened to the "special-kernels" thing I saw mention of in the
archives?  It seems that was a good idea.  Perhaps it was a bit of a
support burden, given how few people it helped.

7) A quite small thing: The document describing how to build your own
debian boot floppy...  well, I'm left uncertain how to go about, despite
having built an mkrboot floppy previously. I'm talking about "kernel.txt"
in the boot-floppies package.  It says you can make a boot floppy with an
arbitrary zImage, but I've tried it with and without initrd support, and
both say they cannot mount 01:00.  I did use the rdev commands from
rdev.sh.