RFC: libc5 to libc6 mini-howto

Since a large number of questions have been coming up on debian-user about
installing hamm packages into a v1.3.x based system, and since I seem to
have come up with the most complete list of how to do it and not break
anything, I'd like to offer the following message for comment, and once we
iron it out, post it to debian-user and debian-devel regularly during the
period until the release of hamm.

Debian 1.3.x to Debian-unstable (codename hamm) guide

The Debian project is currently in the process of putting together the
next release of the Debian system.  This version will utilize the new
libc6, a replacement for the prior libc5 which includes many enhancements
and brings the linux C library back into sync with the GNU project.  We
are doing this in a way to allow you to continue to utilize your older
software by providing development and operating environments for both C
libraries. However, all packages in the new release will be linked with
the new C library.  This has made it slightly more difficult to install
packages from the unstable branch of our development tree into a working
system.  There is a slight possibility of making your system unbootable in
the process, this guide is intended to help you avoid such problems.

The minimum list of packages to install to be able to run unstable-branch
packages is below.  Install these packages one at a time in exactly the
order listed.  When versions are mentioned, that is a minimum suggested
version, any later version should also be acceptable.

libc6_2.0.4-1
ldso_1.9.5-1
libreadline2_2.1-2.1
libreadlineg2_2.1-2.1
ncurses3.0_1.9.9e-2
ncurses3.4_1.9.9g-3
ncurses-base_1.9.9g-3
ncurses-bin_1.9.9g-3
bash_2.01-0.1

If you wish to do libc6 development, you should first purge all the -dev
packages on your system, the new development system will use packages with
the suffix '-dev' for libc6 development and '-altdev' for libc5
development. You will wish to install the latest libc5 package, and altgcc
if you wish continue to do libc5 development as well.  Some libraries
haven't been recompiled for the new libc6 yet, check that all your vital
libraries are available before upgrading.  Linking libc5-based libraries
with libc6-based programs will have unpredictable results.

- --
        Scott K. Ellis          |          The world is its own magic.
        storm@gate.net          |               -- Shunryu Suzuki